Postponement reports untrue, says Pacquiao
Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) - May 20, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Manny Pacquiao reported for training yesterday afternoon, and by flashing the thumbs-up sign dispelled rumors of the postponement of his title fight against Lucas Matthysse on July 15.

“Some people want to sabotage the fight,” said Pacquiao inside the dressing room of the Elorde Gym at the Mall of Asia grounds.

An Argentine television network reported yesterday that the WBA welterweight title fight between Pacquiao and Matthysse, the champion, in Kuala Lumpur has been postponed.

The report, which Pacquiao branded as “malicious and untrue,” claimed that disagreements between MP Promotions and the Kuala Lumpur investors have led to the postponement of the fight, the first big boxing match in Malaysia since the Muhammad Ali-Joe Bugner show in 1975.

Pacquiao is in the third week of his training for the fight, his first since taking a bitter loss to Jeff Horn in Brisbane in July last year.

“Gusto nila i-sabotage ang fight,” said Pacquiao, without naming names.

“Okay lang,” he told The STAR, practically assuring everyone that the fight will go on as planned and as advertised.

“Where can you find a card with four world title fights? That’s why some people want to sabotage it,” said Pacquiao.

Nearing 40, the eight-division world champion is out to prove that he remains an elite fighter, and has hinted that if he’s not successful against Matthysse then it may be the time to retire.

BOXING MANNY PACQUIAO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with