^

Nation

Negros Oriental hog ban lifted

Gilbert Bayoran - The Philippine Star
Negros Oriental hog ban lifted
Customers shop for pork meat in Marikina Public Market on March 14, 2023.
STAR / Walter Bollozos

BACOLOD CITY, Philippines — The province of Negros Oriental is opening its borders to hog raisers and traders to revive its pork industry, which has been battered by African swine fever (ASF).

Gov. Manuel Sagarbarria issued Executive Order 10 on Wednesday, allowing the transport and movement of live pigs, pork products and by-products around the province.

He expressed confidence that the lifting of the ban would boost businesses and contribute to cost-effective market economy.

“The ASF outbreak had resulted in the culling of more than 300,000 pigs, causing a decline of up to 20.8 percent in pork production,” the provincial government said in a statement.

The outbreak affected not only hog raisers, but also consumers as pork prices soared due to lack of supply.

As this developed, Negros Occidental Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said the ban on the entry of live pigs and pork products in his province would continue.

“We will continue to strictly follow our policy, especially in areas that are categorized as red zones,” Lacson said.

Since September last year, Negros Occidental has not recorded hog deaths due to ASF or hog cholera.

The provincial government has started distributing financial assistance to hog farmers displaced by ASF and hog cholera.

vuukle comment

NEGROS ORIENTAL

Philstar
x
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with