Witnesses in Beltran’s murder get P5-M reward
Romina Cabrera (The Philippine Star) - October 14, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City council has rewarded four witnesses who gave information that led to the arrest of the suspects in the murder of barangay chairman Crisell Beltran earlier this year. 

Vice Mayor Gian Carlo Sotto and Quezon City Police District director Col. Ronnie Montejo turned over checks for P5 million to the witnesses over the weekend.

Montejo said the witnesses were instrumental in the investigation, which resulted in the arrest of primary suspect Teofilo Formanes.

Last February, the city council approved a P5-million reward for any information that would lead to the arrest of the suspects.

Beltran, chairman of Barangay Bagong Silangan, and her driver, Melchor Salita, were in a Ford Everest along JP Rizal street in Filinvest 2 when they were ambushed on Jan. 30.

The vehicle crashed into a house after the driver’s side was fired upon by the suspects.

Formanes allegedly broke the window on the passenger side of the car and fired at Beltran.

Charges of murder have been filed against Formanes.

“We hope that the reward money will motivate other witnesses to come out and help the police in solving the crime,” Montejo said. 

Probers have yet to determine the motive for the killing of Beltran, who had planned to run for congresswoman of Quezon City’s second district in the last midterm elections.          

CRISELL BELTRAN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with