^

367 NPA rebels surrendered in 2011 – AFP

Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) - March 5, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - The number of New People’s Army (NPA) rebels who surrendered to avail themselves of government programs increased in 2011, the military said yesterday.

Armed Forces spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said 367 rebels abandoned the communist movement last year, compared to only 235 in 2011.

 â€œThe increase in the number of NPA surrenderees can be attributed to the localized integration program undertaken by local chief executives in NPA-affected areas,” Burgos said.

The integration programs, which vary from one province to another, include livelihood and financial assistance to former insurgents and their dependents.

Burgos said the number of violent incidents initiated by NPA members also decreased last year – 374 from 473 in 2011.

However, Burgos admitted that insurgents continue to launch attacks against civilians, citing the raid at the Del Monte and Dole plantations in Bukidnon and the ambush in Negros Occidental that left nine persons dead.

“Such modus of force and intimidation to coerce civilians, including private firms and individuals, to give in to their demands are desperate moves by the NPA who continue to lose their mass base support,” Burgos said.

Security officials have linked the attacks on businesses to the supposed extortion campaign of the rebels.

The military earlier said the NPA extorted more than P25 million from individuals and businesses, mostly plantations and mining firms, last year.  

 

ARMED FORCES ARNULFO BURGOS JR. BUKIDNON BURGOS DEL MONTE AND DOLE LAST NEGROS OCCIDENTAL NEW PEOPLE NPA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with