Muntinlupa enforces firecracker ban
Perseus Echeminada (The Philippine Star) - December 23, 2015 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines – The city government of Muntinlupa has imposed a total ban on the manufacture, sale and use of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices for the duration of the holiday season.

Muntinlupa police chief Senior Superintendent Nicolas Salvador said the city’s peace and order council have set up checkpoints and monitoring teams to apprehend violators.

Salvador said the ban was in compliance with City Ordinance 12-092 prohibiting the display, sale, use and distribution of firecrackers to reduce injuries during the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

He said villages, owners of malls or similar establishments may sponsor fireworks displays in designated areas but need to secure permits from the Philippine National Police and Bureau of Fire Protection.

Violators will be fined P1,000 up to P5,000.

The total ban on firecrackers was enforced after New Year’s revelry in 2013 left one dead and 18 injured, according to records from the city health office.

Last year, the city recorded only six cases of firecracker injuries.

Mayor Jaime Fresnedi advised the residents not to patronize illegal firecrackers.

The city government will distribute torotot (trumpets) and candies on Dec. 30 to encourage the public to use alternative ways to welcome the New Year.             

CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR CITY CITY ORDINANCE FIRECRACKERS MAYOR JAIME FRESNEDI MUNTINLUPA NBSP NEW YEAR PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE AND BUREAU OF FIRE PROTECTION SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT NICOLAS SALVADOR YEAR
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with