Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the department is ready to place witnesses under its witness protection program (WPP).
The FREEMAN/Joy Terrejos
Protection offered for Cebu teen’s slay witnesses
Edu Punay (The Philippine Star) - March 21, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) yesterday offered protection for possible witnesses in the murder of Christine Silawan in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the department is ready to place witnesses under its witness protection program (WPP).

“Any potential witness who will surface to shed light in the murder of Christine can be covered by our WPP, if necessary,” Guevarra said in a text message to The STAR.

A P2-million reward has been offered by government offices as well as private individuals and groups for the arrest of Silawan’s killers.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), tasked to conduct a fact-finding probe on the incident, arrested a 17-year-old suspect who was last seen with the victim before her body was found in a vacant lot in Barangay Bankal on March 11.

The minor was arrested after footage of closed-circuit television cameras showed him together with the victim.

Probers found out the suspect and the victim had been exchanging chat and text messages, prompting them to conclude that the case was a “crime of passion.”

CHRISTINE SILAWAN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with