Tabloid asks city fiscals to inhibit from CCAIB case
- Mylen P. Manto () - September 13, 2011 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - One of two tabloids sued by the Cebu City Anti-Indecency Board (CCAIB) has asked that the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office inhibit itself from the complaint.

The motion for inhibition was filed by Super Balita Editor-in-Chief Michelle So, Publisher Julius Neri, Jr. and writer Fred Monternel. They said one or two prosecutors are members of CCAIB.

“To evade biases, this office were asked to inhibit,” said Prosecutor Rodulph Val Carillo, the prosecutor handling the case.

Carillo said he will have to endorse the motion to city prosecutor chief Nicolas Sellon for decision. Should Sellon decide to grant the motion, Carillo said the complaint may be forwarded to the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office or the Regional State Prosecutor’s Office.

So, Neri and Monternel have already filed their counter-affidavits, Carillo said. Meanwhile, respondents from Banat News, Publisher Juanito Jabat, President Miguel Belmonte, and writer “Cindy Jones” have asked an extension in submitting the document. 

Carillo said the counsel for Banat News, Jesus Isidoro Atoc, has filed a second motion for extension, asking 15 more days to file the counter-affidavit. Respondents from Banat News have until September 24 to file their documents.

The filing of complaint was initiated by the CCAIB through Lucelle Mercado, Marie Velle Abella, Juliet Balboa, Cipriano Balili, Dominic Diño, Ma. Socorro Alfafara, Tessa Paradiang-Cang, Jess Anthony Dela Cruz and Joan Arnoco.

They said there were “obscene, indecent, languages and words which are sexually suggestive in Banat News’ “Wildflower” and in Superbalita’s “From Junquera with Love” that served no purpose but to satisfy the market for lust and pornography.”

The agency said they informed Banat News and Superbalita about their obscene publications in a letter in October last year, but the two publications continued to publish such articles.

CCAIB said the publications violate the provision of Article 201 of the Revised Penal Code as amended by Presidential Decree 969 on immoral doctrines, obscene publications and exhibitions and City Ordinance No. 1408 as amended.

The complaint was filed last August 3, 2011.     - (THE FREEMAN)

BANAT NEWS BANAT NEWS AND SUPERBALITA CARILLO CEBU CITY ANTI-INDECENCY BOARD CEBU CITY PROSECUTOR CINDY JONES CIPRIANO BALILI CITY ORDINANCE NO DOMINIC DI FRED MONTERNEL FROM JUNQUERA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with