By noon on Saturday, flights had resumed their normal schedule, but some passengers were not impressed by the speed of the recovery operation.
File
NAIA mishap costs PAL ‘millions,' airline says
Ian Nicolas Cigaral (philstar.com) - August 21, 2018 - 4:11pm

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine Airlines on Tuesday apologized to its passengers over flight disruptions caused by a Chinese plane’s bumpy landing at the capital’s main airport last week, adding that the mishap has cost the flag-carrier “millions of pesos.”

The Xiamen Airlines aircraft landed on its second attempt before skidding onto the grass late last Thursday night and ripped off its left engine. It ended up blocking the main runway of Ninoy Aquino International Airport and prompted the cancelation of around 165 international and local flights.

The 157 passengers and eight crew aboard were able to disembark without suffering any major injuries. The plane was removed from the muddy spot where it had been stuck for more than a day, officials said, allowing operations to resume on Saturday.

“Definitely there were costs incurred—logistical expenses and other expenses of course. Definitely it will run up to millions of pesos but on the exact figure, we will keep you posted,” PAL spokesperson Maria Cielo Villaluna said in an interview with ANC.

'There is much more to do'

In a press statement, PAL said it exerted all efforts to take care of affected passengers, although it acknowledged that the help given was not enough “at some of the critical times.”

“And for this, we sincerely apologize and we assure you that we will strive to do more and make the necessary improvements for the benefit of all,” PAL said.

“Now that the runway has re-opened, we continue to work hard to normalize operations which entails bringing home diverted airplanes, mounting replacement flights on key routes, reshuffling of aircraft, crew and other operational resources,” it added.

“There is so much more to do and there will regrettably be some more delays and re-timing of flights. But we will do what we can to minimize the inconvenience to our valued passengers,” it continued.

By noon on Saturday, flights had resumed their normal schedule, but some passengers were not impressed by the speed of the recovery operation.

The Manila International Airport Authority will charge Xiamen Airlines at least P15 million for the removal of its damaged plane from the main runway NAIA last week. Congressional probes into the mishap have been sought. — with Agence France-Presse

NAIA CONGESTION NINOY AQUINO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT PHILIPPINE AIRLINES
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with