^

Cebu News

Police confiscate more firecrackers

Ma. Fatima R. Secuya/FPL - The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines - The Police Regional Office-7 has confiscated more firecrackers during the recent yuletide celebrations than in the previous years.

Senior Superintendent Rey Lyndon Lawas, chief directorial staff of PRO-7, said they confiscated at least P500,000 worth of illegal firecrackers from December 2015 to January 2, 2016.

The amount is said to be four times higher compared to those of previous seasons.

“Last time, there were only more or less P100,000 (value of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices). But this time around, we were able to confiscate more or less P500,000,” said Lawas.

Lawas attributed the increase to the intensified campaign against prohibited firecrackers following the high number of firecracker incidents in the region.

The PRO-7 destroyed yesterday all confiscated firecrackers at the police regional headquarters quadrangle.

Lawas explained that some of the confiscated firecrackers were not prohibited but were sold in areas outside the designated zone and that the vendors did not have the necessary permit.

 “So that would make it illegal. So subject gihapon for confiscation,” said Lawas.

No vendor, however, was arrested by the police because they all escaped after seeing the presence of the law enforcers.

Lawas said what is more important is that they were able to bring down the degree of firecracker-related injuries. He said while there were more cases this season compared to last year but the degree of injuries was lesser.

“But nakita nato nga in terms of injury, less lang gyud ron. Simple burns lang sa extremities or kamot. Wala gyu’y amputations,” said Lawas.

Meanwhile, the PRO-7 has removed yesterday the masking tape placed on the muzzles of the service firearms of the police.

Lawas said the yearly activity that aimed to discourage indiscriminate firing from among the PNP personnel was a success because the police headquarters did not receive any report of illegal discharge of firearm involving policemen during the Christmas and New Year revelries.

Lawas, however, is calling on those who may have witnessed police personnel firing guns during the celebrations to report such incidents.

“Kay we do not condone this kind of act. Nihangyo man gani ta sa publiko, sa mga gun owner nga likayan ang buto during yuletide, then how much more sa kapulisan,” said Lawas.

He assured that all information will be looked into. Lawas also promised that all erring personnel will be facing criminal and administrative charges.  (FREEMAN)

ACIRC

CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR

CONFISCATED

FIRECRACKERS

ILLEGAL

LAWAS

NIHANGYO

POLICE

POLICE REGIONAL OFFICE

SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT REY LYNDON LAWAS

WALA

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
abtest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with