2 men killed in ‘shootout’ with cops
Christell Fatima M. Tudtud, Mae Clydyl L. Avila (The Freeman) - January 5, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Two men, including a high-value target wanted for illegal drug trade, were killed in an alleged shootout with police at past midnight yesterday in the town of Poro on Camotes Island in northern Cebu.

 

The fatalities were identified as Perlito Brion Jr., 32, a resident of Barangay Dumlog, Talisay City, and his personal driver, 60-year-old Floriano Mag-aso, a resident of Barangay San Nicolas, Cebu City.

Brion was reportedly on the island to oversee the construction of his mansion in Purok Yellowville in Barangay San Jose.

The operation was hatched by the Cebu Provincial Police Office Provincial Intelligence Branch Drug Enforcement Unit led by Senior Inspector Alejandro Batobalonos against Brion.

Batobalonos, in a phone interview with The FREEMAN, said Brion allegedly pulled out a .45 caliber firearm and fired at police officers serving an arrest warrant against him.

While Mag-aso drew out a .457 caliber revolver, said Batobalonos.

The police retaliated, leaving Brion and Mag-aso dead. The two were brought to the hospital, but did not make it there alive.

No illegal drugs and paraphernalia were confiscated from Brion and Mag-aso.

Batobalonos said Brion was the nephew of Talisay City’s drug queen Marissa Obrero. Obrero fled the city last year and was captured in Davao del Norte last month.

Brion, who led a successful drug business in Talisay City, had been an elusive target, said Batobalonos.

“Grabe ni siya ka idlas, kapila na mi ani niya sige operate pero makaipsot, karon ato gyud gipaninguha nga madakpan siya, it is just unfortunate nga ni-attempt pa ni sila og sukol sa ato,” Batobalonos said.

Batobalonos said they will conduct further investigation to trace Brion’s drug suppliers, whose names were disclosed by Brion’s live-in partner.

Mandaue Shooting

Meanwhile, a man was killed inside his car by unidentified motorcycle - riding assailants last Thursday evening in Barangay Guizo, Mandaue City.

Giovanni Ruiz Collamat of Barangay Alang-Alang suffered gunshot wounds to his face and body. He was rushed to Perpetual Succor Hospital in Cebu City at around 11:10 p.m., but died two hours later.

According to Police Officer 2 Ariel Gingco of Centro Police Station, the assailants, who were on board a motorcycle, tailed Collamat who just came from a cockpit arena in Barangay Tejero, Cebu City.

Collamat was about to make a U-turn on W. Seno Street in Barangay Guizo when one of the gunmen appeared on the driver side and started firing, said Gingco.

The driver’s side window was left half open.

The assailants immediately fled after the shooting.

At least eight empty shells from unknown firearms and two pieces of slugs were found at the crime scene.

Police have yet to determine the motive behind the killing and the identities of the culprits.

On December 28, 2018, 25-year-old Mheljjon Bolongon was also shot dead by unknown motorcycle-riding gunmen near a motor shop in Barangay Ibabao-Estancia in the city.

Investigation into the shooting is still ongoing. — KBQ (FREEMAN)

ILLEGAL DRUGS SHOOTOUT
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with