DOLE allocates P76M for summer job program
Carlo S. Lorenciana (The Freeman) - March 21, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Department of Labor and Employment 7 has allocated about P76 million for its Special Program for Employment of Students this year, urging students to take advantage of the program this summer.

In Central Visayas, DOLE has around 25,000 target beneficiaries who are identified mostly as poor but deserving people.

DOLE-7 Director Exequiel Sarcauga advised potential beneficiaries to go to their respective public employment service offices (PESO), which handle the agency’s placement of its program.

He said PESOs are the ones that receive the credentials from applicants and deploy them to potential employers.

“This is for deserving students who want to work especially this summer,” Sarcauga told The FREEMAN at the sidelines of the full council meeting of the Regional Development Council 7 yesterday, attended by department directors, government officials and representatives from the private sector in Region 7.

The labor agency works with local governments, academe and the private sector in providing decent job opportunities for the working students who can work for 20 to maximum of 52 working days. And they earn a minimum wage.

Sarcauga explained the budget will be used to subsidize 40% of the workers’ minimum wage including insurance coverage which is shouldered by DOLE. The remaining 60% is financed by the employer.

He explained the students can actually work any time of the year but they are normally encouraged to enroll during summer. 

The labor official also noted that he has signed several applications for job fairs this summer and that he urged fresh graduates and those looking for jobs to take advantage of these opportunities. (FREEMAN)

 

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT DIRECTOR EXEQUIEL SARCAUGA DOLE EMPLOYMENT OF STUDENTS IN CENTRAL VISAYAS REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL SARCAUGA SPECIAL PROGRAM STUDENTS SUMMER
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with