^

Nation

Taguig closes Makati park for alleged lack of permits

Daphne Galvez - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — The Taguig City government has ordered the closure of the Makati Park and Garden for allegedly not having the necessary permits to operate.

In a statement yesterday, Taguig said the park is under its jurisdiction, which the city “has the right to possess and administer the same notwithstanding Makati’s unlawful possession.”

It claimed the park was closed by Makati and used as a garage for its heavy equipment and storage for various objects.

Taguig, citing the Local Government Code and local ordinances, said the closure was in line with its authority to regulate any business, trade or activity within its jurisdiction through the issuance of a mayor’s permit after submission of documents and payment of fees and taxes.

The closure came after Taguig employees were supposedly barred from entering the public facility on March 1 by Makati’s public safety department.

Trapped employees

In response, Makati called Taguig’s move “inhumane and ungodly,” saying the closure trapped the former’s employees inside.

Makati called Taguig a “bully” as the latter’s enforcers blocked all entrances, erected barricades and deployed 100 personnel to surround the perimeter of the park.

It also belied claims of Taguig that the park was being used as a garage.

“By displaying overwhelming force, Taguig clearly intends to intimidate. But Makati will not be intimidated. We will not yield to a bully,” it said in a separate statement.

Makati further branded Taguig’s move as “childish, arrogant and reckless,” warning that the latter’s “scandalous actions can send the wrong signals to potential investors.”

Makati asked concerned national agencies to censure Taguig for its actions, adding that it is determined to resort to available courses of action to preserve and protect its properties.

On March 1, Makati condemned the attempt of Taguig enforcers to “forcibly” enter the park and garden, which is located in Barangay West Rembo, one of the 10 enlisted men’s barrio or “embo” barangays that are now under the jurisdiction of Taguig.

In 2021 and 2023, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Taguig, giving it the jurisdiction of the 10 “embo” barangays.

In October last year, Makati filed an urgent motion before a Taguig court, asking for a status quo order against Taguig due to its many attempts “to forcibly take possession of Makati-owned facilities.”

vuukle comment

FIRE

Philstar
x
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with