100-day ban on entry of live pigs, pork in Cebu
Lorraine Ecarma (The Philippine Star) - August 28, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The ban on the entry of live pigs and pork products in Cebu will remain in effect even though the Department of Agriculture said African swine fever (ASF) did not cause recent hog deaths in Rizal, Cebu Gov. Gwen Garcia said yesterday.

Garcia issued Executive Order 14 last week, which orders a ban on the entry of pork products and live hogs in the province for 100 days amid the African Swine Fever scare.

She said she plans to amend EO 14 to ensure a stricter implementation of hog vaccination in the province to prevent other diseases.

“I am looking into amending that EO because even if it is not ASF, we will be equally vigilant against swine cholera,” Garcia said.

She said there had been leniency in hog vaccination in recent years, which makes the animals vulnerable to swine cholera. – The Freeman

AFRICAN SWINE FEVER PIGS PORK SWINE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with