Among those charged with multiple murder and theft was a certain Victoriano Anadon, who also reportedly hogtied the victims, Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas, Central Visayas police director, said.
CTTO Photo
Raps filed vs NPA rebels for killing Negros cops
Gilbert Bayoran, Emmanuel Tupas (The Philippine Star) - July 23, 2019 - 12:00am

BACOLOD CITY, Philippines —  Charges were filed yesterday against six New People’s Army (NPA) rebels tagged in the murder of four police officers in Negros Oriental last week.

Among those charged with multiple murder and theft was a certain Victoriano Anadon, who also reportedly hogtied the victims, Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas, Central Visayas police director, said.

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde said they have identified the communist rebels who killed the police officers, but refused to identify them.

Cpl. Relebert Beronio as well as Patrolmen Raffy Callo, Roel Cabellon and Marquinto de Leon of the 704th Company of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion in Central Visayas were reportedly attacked by around 30 rebels as they approached the house of Anadon.

The victims each suffered a gunshot wound in the head.

Police said the rebels also took the wallets and other personal belongings of the victims.

In a statement issued yesterday, Dionesio Magbuelas, spokesman for the NPA’s Cansermon Command, justified the killing of the police officers, whom they claimed were behind intelligence gathering in the implentation of the Synchronized Enhanced Managing Police Operations, which they saidleft many civilians in Negros Oriental dead.

Magbuelas said the police officers also harassed farmers in the area.

Tortured

Albayalde said the four policemen were tortured before they were executed in front of villagers in Barangay Mabato.

Autopsy reports show that some of the victims suffered fractured ribs and hematoma.

The victims were reportedly dragged, butt-stroked and beaten up by the rebels.

Manhunt

Lt. Gen. Noel Clement, Central Command chief, said the Armed Forces of the Philippines is working with the PNP in the manhunt for the rebels.

Clement assured the public that the perpetrators would be brought to justice.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año ordered the police to coordinate with the military in pursuing the “cold-blooded monsters.”

Año said the attack was a direct assault not only on the PNP but also on the government’s peace initiatives.

He said the families of the police officers would each receive P500,000 under the government’s comprehensive social benefits program, P450,000 in shelter assistance and health care coverage from the Philippine Health Insurance. Corp. worth P2,400 per year.

President Duterte had earlier offered a reward of P1 million for information leading to the arrest of the assailants.

The President posthumously conferred the Order of Lapu-Lapu with the rank of Kalasag to the police officers in ceremonies held at Camp Fernandez in Sibulan, Negros Oriental on Saturday. – With Michael Punongbayan

NEGROS ORIENTAL NEW PEOPLE’S ARMY TORTURE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with