^

Nation

Comelec drops 10 more partylist groups

Dennis Carcamo - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines - The Commission on Elections on Wednesday announced that 10 more partylist groups, including two organizations which have already joined in previous polls, were disqualified from running in the mid-term elections next year.

The poll body said Abot-Tanaw and Abroad partylist groups have previously run while eight others--Guardian, Hukbong Kerubin, Ilaw, Samahang Ilokanong Magsasaka, Angat-Ahon Magsasaka, Good, Una Edukasyon, and Courage-- were asking for accreditation from the Comelec.

Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said the Comelec en banc is unconvinced that the groups represented the marginalized sectors of society.

Brillantes also advised the disqualified partylist organizations to immediately appeal their cases before the Supreme Court.

He said these groups have until January next year to get a ruling of the High Court on their appeals or two months before the printing of the ballots to be used in the 2013 elections.

ABOT-TANAW AND ABROAD ANGAT-AHON MAGSASAKA BRILLANTES COMELEC HIGH COURT HUKBONG KERUBIN ILAW SAMAHANG ILOKANONG MAGSASAKA SIXTO BRILLANTES JR. SUPREME COURT UNA EDUKASYON
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with