Quezon City closes 2 public markets
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - January 30, 2016 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines – The Quezon City government yesterday implemented the closure order on two public markets in Balintawak.

Tensions rose as vendors, who are holding a protest rally, initially resisted city government personnel who prevented the continued operations of Cloverleaf and Riverview II Markets.

But Elmo San Diego, chief of the city’s department of public order and safety, said the city was bent on implementing the closure orders to ensure the safety of both vendors and the consumers.

He said they will post personnel in the area to ensure that the public markets will not resume operations without the approval of the city government.

On Friday, the city government served the closure orders signed by Mayor Herbert Bautista to the owners of the two markets.

Another market earlier covered by a cease and desist order, the MC Market also located in Balintawak, was not issued a closure order after its owner voluntarily ceased operations last week.

City market administrator Noel Soliven said the markets were found to lack various permits from the government, including locational clearance, building and sanitary permits and sewage discharge permit.

“Lack of compliance puts at risk not only the consumers who buy directly from these markets, but also the neighboring areas which are affected by the unlawful discharge and pollution of nearby waterways,” said the city government.

The city market administrator said vendors who are affected by the closure will be offered slots at the eight city-owned and operated public markets as alternative vending sites.

“While the city government had given them ample time to comply, the owners of these establishments made no effort to settle their deficiencies,” Soliven stressed.

Last September, the city government already recommended the closure of all privately owned markets in the Balintawak area for supposedly operating without the necessary regulatory requirements.

Six of the nine private markets were allowed to continue operations after partially complying with the city’s requirements, said the city government.

BALINTAWAK BUT ELMO SAN DIEGO CITY CLOVERLEAF AND RIVERVIEW GOVERNMENT LAST SEPTEMBER MARKETS MAYOR HERBERT BAUTISTA NOEL SOLIVEN ON FRIDAY QUEZON CITY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with