^

Fire destroys 300 houses in Mandaluyong

Non Alquitran (The Philippine Star) - January 22, 2016 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines - A fire believed caused by an unattended lighted candle razed at least 300 houses in Mandaluyong City yesterday, leaving some 600 families homeless.

The fire at Barangay Addition Hills is a few kilometers away from the largest fire ever to hit the city, wherein at least 4,000 lost their homes before Christmas last year.

Yesterday’s blaze started at past 7 a.m. at the house of Jun Alvarado in Welfareville Compound, Superintendent Nahum Tarroza said.

There had been no electricity in the area and residents used candles and improvised lamps to light their homes, he added.

Strong winds spread the flames and the blaze reached Task Force Charlie in a few minutes.

An unidentified man was hurt by falling debris.

Tarroza said firefighters had difficulty getting to the burning houses due to the narrow alleys leading to the area.

The fire was put under control two hours after it started.

A few hours earlier, a fire started in Karen Cruz’s house on Cruz street in Barangay Ibaba, also in Mandaluyong. The blaze destroyed five houses and reached fourth alarm before it was put under control two hours later.

Mayor Benjamin Abalos Jr. vowed to help the fire victims, who were given temporary shelter at nearby basketball courts, schools and sports complexes.

BARANGAY ADDITION HILLS BARANGAY IBABA CRUZ FIRE JUN ALVARADO KAREN CRUZ MANDALUYONG CITY MAYOR BENJAMIN ABALOS JR. SUPERINTENDENT NAHUM TARROZA TASK FORCE CHARLIE WELFAREVILLE COMPOUND
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with