In this Feb. 26, 2019 photo, Vice President Leni Robredo attends the Ka Pepe Diokno Human rights award at De La Salle University in Manila. The camp of the vice president denied allegations that Robredo is involved in the circulation of videos linking the Duterte family to the illegal drug trade.
The STAR/KJ Rosales
Robredo camp denies link to 'Bikoy' video 'sharer'
(Philstar.com) - May 3, 2019 - 10:56am

MANILA, Philippines — The camp of Vice President Leni Robredo clarified that the vice president is not involved with the release of a video featuring a certain "Bikoy" alleging the involvement of the Dutertes to the illegal drug trade.

The Department of Justice earlier confirmed that Rodel Jayme, the alleged administrator of the website that shared the supposed exposé videos, had been taken into custody.

Following the arrest of Jayme, a photo of him with Robredo circulated online, accusing the vice president of being involved with the "Bikoy" videos.

Lawyer Barry Gutierrez, spokesperson of Robredo, said the allegations are an attempt to besmirch the name of the vice president.

"Ayon sa kuwentong ipinipilit ibenta kasabay ng photo, si VP Leni daw ang nasa likod ng pagkilos nitong si Jayme. Para sa kalinawan ng lahat: walang 'Rodel Jayme' na nagtatrabaho para sa [Office of the Vice President] o kay VP Leni," Gutierrez said in a statement released Friday.

If the photo of Robredo with Jayme is authentic, the latter is just one of the thousands that supported the vice president during her campaign in the 2016 national elections, the spokesman said.

The photo being shared on social media only proves that it is easy to find an image on Facebook and make a story out of it, Gutierrez added.

"Ito's isa na namang paraan para isantabi ang mga seryoso at lubos na nakakabahalang alegasyon sa exposé video sa pamamagitan ng pagdikit nito kay VP Leni at sa oposisyon," Gutierrez said.

On Thursday, the National Bureau of Investigation Cybercrime Division filed a complaint against Jayme for violating Article 142 or "inciting to sedition" in relation to the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.

According to Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, Jayme was behind metrobalita.net which shared links to the "Ang Totoong Narcolist" videos. — Patricia Lourdes Viray

BIKOY LENI ROBREDO OUSTER PLOT
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with