^

53 hurt in revelry to greet New Year

- Mitchelle L. Palaubsanon () - January 3, 2012 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - You might have noticed that the firecracker blasts to welcome the New Year did not last very long, but this did not mean a decrease in injuries related to the revelry.

According to the Department of Health (DOH)-Region 7, a total of 53 people were hurt in the revelry in Central Visayas from the Christmas season until yesterday.

Of the 53 cases, 52 were from Cebu and one from Negros Oriental. There were no injuries reported in the Provinces of Bohol and Siquijor.

Last year, there were a total of 49 cases.

Of the 52 cases in Cebu, there were eight, who were hit by stray bullets. Last year, there were only two cases of injuries due to stray bullets.

There were 38 blast cases that did not require amputation while three required amputation and there was one case where the victim suffered abrasions.

“Na obserbahan gyud nako nga nagka-lesser gyud ang pabuto. Dili na kaayo hugaw ang dalan. We are improving pero makalagot lang kay daghan ta og stray bullet cases,” DOH-7 regional director Susana Madarietta said.

Madarietta said that maybe next year. DOH will be intensifying its campaign against stray bullets and she urged private gun owners not to use their guns in welcoming the New Year. 

Of the eight cases of stray bullets, three were in Cebu City and the others were in the cities of Mandaue, Danao and Lapu-Lapu and in the municipalities of Consolacion and Minglanilla.

Of the 53 victims, 73 percent of which were males. DOH further reported that 14 percent were under the influence of liquor.

Indiscriminate firing

There may be eight reported cases of people getting hit by stray bullets, but the Cebu Provincial Police Office has recorded only one incident of indiscriminate firing.

Based on the data of the Provincial Operation and Plans Branch, a civilian was injured after he accidentally fired his own firearm in the town of Badian on the eve of the New Year.

Victim Santiago Paraculles, 65, single, of Barangay Malhiao, Badian town was reportedly cleaning his caliber .22 magnum snub nose revolver when he accidentally pulled its trigger.

Santiago was hit on his left hand and was taken to the Badian District Hospital for treatment.

It was his relative, who turned over the firearm to the police station.

SPO1 Joel Caballero said the incident was reported 7:00 a.m. on Sunday and when they went to the hospital Santiago was not around because he was reportedly released by the doctor right after he was treated.

Apparently, the gun was not licenses and charges of illegal possession of firearms are now being prepared against Santiago, who is at large. — with Ria Mae Booc/NLQ (FREEMAN)

BADIAN DISTRICT HOSPITAL BARANGAY MALHIAO CASES CEBU CEBU CITY CEBU PROVINCIAL POLICE OFFICE CENTRAL VISAYAS CONSOLACION AND MINGLANILLA DANAO AND LAPU-LAPU DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH NEW YEAR
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with