Buenafe: No evidence vigilantes are back
- Ryan Christopher J. Sorote and Ria Mae Y. Booc () - November 11, 2011 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - While Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Director Melvin Ramon Buenafe stressed that the recent killings in Cebu City are not the work of vigilantes, Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Director Sr. Supt. Patrocinio Comendador opined that the alleged vigilante killings in the city could be a result of the slow justice system.

 Since Sunday, five men were already killed vigilante-style in three separate shooting incidents in Cebu City.

“Lain-lain ang rason sa mga pagpamusil,” Buenafe told reporters.

The director said various factors must be considered before they could say that the recent killings were done by vigilantes.

In fact, he said, based on the facts that they have there are no evidence pointing to vigilantes in any of the three incidents in the past days.

He pointed out that similar cases are happening in other areas throughout the country so the public should not rush to alarming conclusions. He said the police do not support vigilante acts because these are also crimes.

“We are not there to judge (the criminals), or to kill them instantly, there are recognized steps which should be followed…We have to do our work as law enforcers and protector of the people,” he added. 

Buenafe said all policemen will run after vigilantes if indeed these people exist. Though this is a challenge for them, he believes this is part of their responsibility to reduce crimes.

Comendador, for his part, said every one may not agree with vigilantism but because of the slow justice system, some may resort to this. He said that so far, they have not heard of a similar incident in the province.

Comendador used to head the CCPO. He said that during his stint in Cebu City, vigilantes were hunting down gang members and those involved in the illegal drug trade.

In the previous years, there were talks that the vigilantes were policemen who were “trained and paid” to kill criminals. Comendador said this should serve as warning to notorious gang members.

“We can only do so much for them by enforcing the law. This should also serve as a warning for them,” he said.

Asked if vigilantes really exist, Comendador said there are people who take the law in their own hands. (FREEMAN)

BUENAFE CEBU CEBU CITY CEBU PROVINCIAL POLICE OFFICE COMENDADOR DIRECTOR MELVIN RAMON BUENAFE DIRECTOR SR. SUPT PATROCINIO COMENDADOR SINCE SUNDAY VIGILANTES WHILE CEBU CITY POLICE OFFICE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with