MacroAsia, Chinese partner struggle to complete Sangley requirements
The consortium has been given 60 days to comply with all post-qualification requirements before a joint venture contract with the Cavite government can be signed.
STAR/File
MacroAsia, Chinese partner struggle to complete Sangley requirements
Richmond Mercurio (The Philippine Star) - March 3, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Lucio Tan’s MacroAsia Corp. and its Chinese partner for Sangley Point International Airport (SPIA) project continue to face difficulties in completing post-qualification requirements, given the current situation in China due to the coronavirus disease outbreak.

An official from MacroAsia told The STAR that “Chinese travelers from China Communications Construction Co. Ltd. (CCCC) are still unable to visit Manila.”

The consortium has been given 60 days to comply with all post-qualification requirements before a joint venture contract with the Cavite government can be signed.

“As per notice of award, deadline is 60 days upon receipt,” Cavite government public-private partnership selection committee legal officer Jesse Grepo said.

MacroAsia received the notice of award last Feb. 15.

“So let’s wait and see how the virus will affect their compliance. The PPP will assess the situation and validate their reason, if ever they ask for an extension,” Grepo said. 

Cavite Gov. Jonvic Remulla said earlier they could not sign the joint venture agreement until the provincial government gets the full financial guarantee from the consortium.

In an interview last month, MacroAsia president and COO Joseph Chua said the company does not want to bother CCCC as “they are having some problems at the moment,” referring to the coronavirus outbreak.

MacroAsia has a 40 percent stake in the consortium, while CCCC holds the remaining 60 percent.

The consortium has been awarded by the provincial government of Cavite the $4-billion first phase of the SPIA, a project involving the development of an interim first runway with an annual design capacity for 25 million passengers and the new Sangley connector road and bridge.

The consortium will also have the right to first offer for the second phase of the SPIA project which will expand the development for a second runway, with an annual design capacity for 75 million passengers.

CCCC is a state-owned company engaged in investment, design and construction of transportation infrastructure, with experience in both airport and reclamation projects.

CCCC was previously debarred by the World Bank due to alleged fraudulent practices by one of its subsidiaries, China Road and Bridge Corp., with sanctions extending to the entire group under CCCC and all its affiliate companies worldwide. 

The debarment was lifted in Jan. 2017 and CCCC has since been allowed to participate in all World Bank Group-financed tenders

 MacroAsia, for its part, has expertise in developing and operating key operating functions in an airport as part of the Lucio Tan conglomerate and as an affiliate of flag carrier Philippine Airlines.

MACROASIA CORP. SANGLEY POINT INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with