^

Capitan Martin Borinaga, Pilar, Camotes

CEBUPEDIA - Clarence Paul Oaminal (The Freeman) - October 28, 2014 - 12:00am

Martin was the son of Solferino Borinaga, the legendary founder of the town of Pilar, Camotes. Her wife's name was Alejandra.

Solferino, the head of Borinaga clan originally came from Cabalian, Leyte (now part of Southern Leyte, after Leyte Province was divided into two). Cabalian was renamed to "San Juan", it was changed to its present name by virtue of Republic Act 3088 dated June 17, 1961. San Juan celebrated its 150thFounding Anniversary last September 15, 2010.

The first area of settlement of the Borinaga's when it arrived from Cabalian was a place near a beautiful spring called "Palawan." The Borinaga's migrated to Pilar, one of the islands of Camotes, having been attracted by the fertility of the soil and plenty fishes.

Solferino Borinaga, a fearless warrior, defended the settlement against the attacks of the Moro pirates. He trained the able-bodied men to be part of the defenders of the settlement. Solferino, trained his men in martial arts. There are articles that say that Solferino introduced unarmed defense and stick fighting, popularly called Arnis, also called by others as Eskrima or Kali.

The victory of Solferino against the pirates enticed the people of Cabalian to migrate to the new settlement. During that time the problems of people were the constant attacks of Moro invaders. The settlement founded by Solferino grew and was converted into a town. Solferino was appointed as the first Capitan.

When Capitan Solferino died his eldest child, Martin succeeded him as Capitan of the town. It was Capitan Martin who transferred the site of the town from Palawan (now called Lungsod-Daan) to another place. It was given a new name its new name was PILAR, in honor of the wife of Capitan Martin.

In 1965, the town of Pilar had the following officials: Mayor: Martin Malaluan, Vice Mayor: Numeriano Cordero, Judge: Juan Bagano, Treasurer: Nicolas Plenos, Chief of Police: Ignacio Lloberas, Health Officer: Dr. Jesus P. Fernandez (years later a son, Dr. Jesus Angus Fernandez Jr., also became Mayor of Pilar).

Councilors: Luis Serato, Perfecto Salazar, Edilberto Coraza, Florentino Maravilla, Eufracio Maratas and Salvadora Borinaga.

The component towns of Camotes Island are: Tudela, Poro, San Francisco and Pilar. Cabali-an now called San Juan, the origins of the Borinaga's celebrates its fiesta everyJune 24, the Solemnity of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. After World War II, a school was built in Cabali-an (now San Juan) in 1946, it was named Southeastern Leyte Provincial High School. It was the only public high school of the six towns facing the Pacific, with 1,000 students. It was renamed "Cabalian Municipal High School" in 1952. It was converted later as Cabalian Provincial High School. On June 24, 1983 by virtue of Batas Pambansa Bilang 569, the school was converted into San Juan Polytechnic College.

Pilar is composed of thirteen barangays namely: Biasong, Cawit, Dapdap, Esperanza, Lanao, Lower Poblacion, Moabog, Montserrat, San Isidro, San Juan, Upper Poblacion, Villahermosa and Imelda.

A member of the Borinaga Clan by the name of Roberto Borinaga serves the town as Municipal Engineer. Another member, Ryan Mark Pios Borinaga is the Editor Banat Hugyaw, published by The Freeman. Mark Ryan also known as "Okryan" hosts an entertainment with DYRC, Cebu's first radio.

attypauloaminal@yahoo.com

AFTER WORLD WAR BATAS PAMBANSA BILANG BORINAGA BORINAGA CLAN CABALIAN CAPITAN MARTIN SAN SAN JUAN SOLFERINO SOLFERINO BORINAGA
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with