2 Filipinos killed, 8 hurt in Lebanon twin explosions
“Per latest report from the Philippine Embassy 2 Filipinos have been reported killed and 6 injured. All were in their employers homes during the explosion," Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Ed Menez said.
AFP
2 Filipinos killed, 8 hurt in Lebanon twin explosions
(The Freeman) - August 6, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  Two Filipinos have been reported killed while eight others were injured following two powerful explosions in Beirut, Lebanon on Tuesday, the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed.

“Per latest report from the Philippine Embassy 2 Filipinos have been reported killed and 6 injured. All were in their employers homes during the explosion," Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Ed Menez said.

DFA Undersecretary Sarah Arriola later on gave an update that two more Filipinos are injured while 12 are missing. Among the eight injured, seven sustained minor injuries while one is in critical but stable condition. All of the injured are household service workers who were at their work place when the blast devastated Lebanon's capital.

Report says that 11 of the missing Filipinos are seafarers aboard cruise ship MV Orient Queen, which was docked 400 meters from the blast zone.

“They decided to jump from the ship because they felt that they will sink. Two of them arrived at the embassy and they are now at the chancery," Arriola said in a virtual briefing.

Arriola said the Philippine Embassy in Lebanon is reaching out to the hospitals to look for the missing Filipinos. The other reported missing Filipino is a household service worker believed to have also sustained injuries from the explosion.

"As of now we are looking at all hospitals and we are relying on the reports of the Filipino community," Arriola said, adding that the DFA will be giving all kinds of assistance to those who may need on the ground.

The Philippine Embassy is coordinating with the Filipino community in Lebanon to assess the situation and provide assistance to any affected Filipinos, the DFA said.

According to Menez, approximately 33,000 Filipinos are in Lebanon, 75% of whom are in the Greater Beirut area.

The powerful explosions killed at least 73 people and thousands were injured as of yesterday.

Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab said that 2,750 tonnes of fertilizer ammonium nitrate that had been stored for years in a portside warehouse had blown up, sparking "a disaster in every sense of the word".

"What happened today will not pass without accountability," said Diab. "Those responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price," he added.

Inspection sought

Meanwhile, Cebu Third District Rep. Pablo John Garcia urges port and Customs authorities to inspect all warehouses and storage facilities in Cebu for hazardous materials that may be kept there following the catastrophic explosions in Lebanon.

In a statement, Garcia said the contents of storage facilities in port areas, where many seized cargo and container vans are kept for months, even years, could be a cause for concern.

Without a proper inventory and identification, these goods may pose a risk to the safety of Cebu, a passenger and cargo hub that just recently re-opened, he says.

“This tragedy from across the world could be an eye-opener. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families. Their deaths and injuries should at least not be in vain,” Garcia said. — Philstar.com (FREEMAN)

EXPLOTION
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with