Port developer open to amicable settlement
Lorraine Mitzi A. Ambrad (The Freeman) - June 19, 2018 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Port developer Ruben Feliciano said that he is open for an amicable settlement with the municipal government of San Fernando, Cebu as per the advice of Governor Hilario Davide III who said that it will be a win-win solution.

Feliciano aims to build a multi-million international port at Barangay Sangat, San Fernando, Cebu.

He sought an audience with the governor yesterday after he was not invited in the provincial board session last week.

During the session, San Fernando Mayor Lakambini Reluya narrated how Feliciano and his firm implemented the port project even if the developer lacks some documentary requirements.

She added that Feliciano’s firm has started dredging and reclamation works, despite lacking a permit from the Philippine Reclamation Authority.

The mayor has also issued an executive order to stop the project after finding out that his company is not the same company that had applied for a clearance from the municipal government a few years back.

Feliciano’s firm was originally named Sangat Bay Development Corp. but this was changed after a conflict with his previous partners, Melekon Contractors Inc.

In an interview with reporters, Feliciano denied that he lacked some documentary requirements.

"I am not foolish enough to start the project without complete papers," he said.

Davide had said that an amicable settlement between the two parties would mean that all the cases filed against each other are to be withdrawn.

He continued that the project, as stated by Feliciano during their meeting, would help the municipality boost its socio-economic sector since it will generate jobs and other opportunities for the people.

Reluya, however, is not amenable to the idea of amicable settlement.

"We are not amenable to a win-win solution because if we would agree to a win-win solution, it will not only be me, but also the Governor and the members of the Provincial Board, who will be sued before the Ombudsman for allowing First Sangat to operate despite having incomplete requirements," she said over the phone.

Furthermore, the mayor believes that the governor was misled by Feliciano for not stating the whole facts.

"I have no problem allowing him to develop the shoreline of Barangay Sangat provided that he goes back to square one and re-apply his requirements after he changed the name of his company from Sangat Bay to First Sangat.  Produce all of your documents and prove us wrong," she challenged Feliciano. —/GAN (FREEMAN)

 

RUBEN FELICIANO
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with