Police arrest Talisay shooting survivor
Mylen P. Manto (The Freeman) - February 25, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - One of the foreign nationals who survived in the shooting attack in Talisay City that killed a German disaster volunteer last week ended up being arrested after the police found out that he has pending warrant of arrest in Siquijor for violence against women and their children.

The Talisay City police served the warrant of arrest on Frenchman Julien Jerome Mathieu Maillard at the Talisay City Prosecutor’s Office yesterday afternoon as he witnessed the filing of the criminal complaints against his and the two other foreigners’ attackers. 

 The arrest warrant for violation of the Republic Act 9262 was issued by Regional Trial Court Branch 46 Judge Alejandro Bahonsua Jr. in Larena, Siquijor.

 Maillard, 31, is temporarily detained at the Talisay City Police Station after he failed to pay the P24,000 bail. The Frenchman said he was not aware of the case because he did not get a subpoena to answer it.

He admitted having a wife in Siquijor whom he married while he was still 22 years old. He said they agreed to be separated after five years.

Maillard was one of the three foreigners attacked by gunmen inside a fast food joint in Barangay Tabunok, Talisay City Friday last week. Indian national Cheten Saparaiya also survived in the attack but disaster volunteer Henry Haffner, a German, was killed.

Criminal complaints for murder and frustrated murder were filed yesterday against the three suspects arrested in hot pursuit operations. Another suspect remains at large.

The suspects are identified as Ricci Edwin Ramirez Jr., Allano Velos, Roger Cal and Dexci Gomonte. Except for Gomonte, who is still subject of an ongoing manhunt operation, all other suspects are now under detention.

Ramirez, Velos and Cal were indicted of the complaints after they waived their rights to avail of a preliminary investigation. State prosecutor Hyacinth Jadraque found probable cause to elevate the charges in court based on the evidence submitted by the police during inquest investigation. The three opted to answer the charges directly in court.

Aside from the murder and frustrated murder, Ramirez and Cal will face a separate charge for with illegal possession of firearm. Another criminal case for possession of dangerous drugs was also filed against Ramirez.

Cal and Velos both denied participation in the shooting incident. According to Cal, Ramirez took his motorcycle parked outside the mall prompting him to ride with him.

“Pag protect sa akong motor niangkas ko ni JR (Ramirez) padung sa Mc Donalds. Naa rako sa gawas. Pagbutobuto nilakaw nako,” Cal said.

Velos, on the other hand, said he was in his house at Barangay San Isidro when the incident happened.

Talisay City police chief Supt. Reycel Carmelo Dayon said they have strong evidence against the suspects.

In fact, Velos and Ramirez were tested positive of gun powder residue in the paraffin test. The firearms seized were also positive in the cross-matching.

 The police said Cal was included as accessory to the crime because his firearm and motorcycle were used to commit the crime.

Talisay City Mayor Johnny De los Reyes yesterday gave a certificate of recognition to Dayon for the immediate arrest of the suspects.

De los Reyes also promised to give P10,000 each to witnesses who helped in the arrest of the suspects. —with Grace Melanie I. Lacamiento and Garry B. Lao/FPL (FREEMAN)

ALLANO VELOS BARANGAY SAN ISIDRO BARANGAY TABUNOK CAL CAL AND VELOS CHETEN SAPARAIYA CITY FRENCHMAN JULIEN JEROME MATHIEU MAILLARD RAMIREZ SIQUIJOR TALISAY CITY
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with