“Balik Cebu” organizers to build 50 houses in Yolanda-hit areas
Ehda Dagooc (The Freeman) - January 12, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Now on its 14th year, the organizers of the “Balik Cebu” campaign has expanded its objective, from simply giving a grand welcome to balikbayans who come home for the Sinulog, to building houses for the Yolanda survivors.               

The group was able to raise funds from the balikbayan community and will soon start building at least 50 houses for the residents of Esperanza, Pilar, and Camotes, who were affected by super typhoon Yolanda in 2013.

Balik Cebu chairperson Tetta Baad said the group is ready to start the construction of 50 nipa huts that will cost P35, 000 each.

Baad said the funds raised by the group have since been available but the relocation property acquisition process, which is done through the Cebu provincial government, has caused delays in the construction.

“The resettlement area in Esperanza, which can accommodate up to 100 nipa huts, was purchased last December. With that, we will embark on the groundbreaking and construction of the 50 nipa huts as soon as possible,” said Baad.

The "Balik Cebu" program holds red-carpet welcome events and arranged itinerary packages for balikbayans and visiting tourists to Cebu, including the offering of "Suroy-Suroy sa Sugbo", a countryside showcase of destinations around the province.

In January of last year, the organization embarked on a major campaign to help survivors whose homes were wrecked by super typhoon Yolanda last Nov. 8, 2013.

The Balik Cebu committee received financial support from the balikbayans, who expressed willingness to help typhoon survivors rebuild their homes, Baad said.

For each 15-square-meter nipa hut, donors had to raise at least P35,000.  Donations are still welcome for the next 50 houses.

Last week, the Balik Cebu committee officially opened the Balik Cebu Booth located near the concierge counter of Ayala Center Cebu.

The booth, which is open from Jan. 8 to 18, allows balikbayans and tourists to purchase tickets for the Balik Cebu Homecoming Dinner on Jan. 15 at The Terraces, seats at the Sinulog Grandstand during the parade on Jan. 18, or reserve a slot to tour the province during the Suroy-Suroy Sugbo.

Over 200 balikbayan guests are expected to arrive in Cebu this week, mostly from the United States and Europe.  (FREEMAN)

 

AYALA CENTER CEBU BAAD BALIK BALIK CEBU BALIK CEBU BOOTH BALIK CEBU HOMECOMING DINNER CEBU ESPERANZA JAN YOLANDA
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with