PBA also keenly awaiting FIBA decision on fracas
Members of the Philippine national basketball team Gilas Pilipinas with PBA commissioner Willie Marcial, SBP president Al Panlilio, and POC secretary general Pato Gregorio before a closed-door meeting at the league's office in Libis.
PhilStar.com/Denison Rey A. Dalupang

PBA also keenly awaiting FIBA decision on fracas

Denison Rey A. Dalupang (Philstar.com) - July 5, 2018 - 8:00pm

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Willie Marcial on Thursday said that he will abide with FIBA’s decision on the violent incident in a FIBA World Cup qualifying game last Monday.

The top PBA executive made the clarification and more after a short, closed-door meeting with members of the Philippine national basketball team at the league’s office in Libis, Quezon City, on Thursday. 

But the first-year commissioner was quick to note a caveat.

“Katulad ng sinabi ko (sa meeting), okay kami sa FIBA (decision), pero kapag sinuspend nila (ang players) sa PBA, maga-appeal kami. For the games sa PBA, ‘pag parang nadamay ang PBA, hihingi kami ng apela,” Marcial offered.

Gilas members are bracing for heavy penalties following the fracas at the Philippine Arena earlier this week. Among the sanctions the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, the league and the athletes are expecting are fines and suspension. 

Players of the national team have not figured in any brawl in recent memory, making this predicament an uncharted territory for the SBP and the team management. Only Kiefer Ravena is the lone basis for how hefty the penalties could get for the Filipino cagers. 

Ravena’s penalty for unknowingly taking a banned substance prohibits him from participating from any FIBA-sanctioned events, from practicing with his mother club NLEX to even watching PBA games live at the venue. 

Joining Marcial was president of the national basketball federation Al Panlilio and secretary general of the Philippine Olympic Committee Pato Gregorio. 

“With the players, pinagsabihan namin. [In-assess] namin ‘yung sitwasyon kung saan nagsimula, kung bakit nangyari ‘yun,” Marcial said, when asked about the private gathering. 

“Nagkwento sila. Sinabihan namin na hintayin ang imbestigasyon ng FIBA. Nagsalita naman sila pero more on pinagsabihan namin na sana ‘di na maulit, lalo na sa PBA na huwag na maulit. Ganoon lang ang tema,” he added.

SBP is currently waiting for the result of FIBA’s investigation which opened Monday night shortly after the incident.

2019 FIBA WORLD CUP ASIAN QUALIFIERS BASKETBALL GILAS PILIPINAS GILAS-BOOMERS BRAWL PHILIPPINE BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with