^

Mayweather offered 'nine figures' to fight again

(Philstar.com) - February 2, 2016 - 1:40am

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. claims receiving huge monetary offers to end his retirement.

The offers, Mayweather said, even reach as high as nine figures, or hundreds of millions of dollars.

“There's been crazy numbers that's being thrown at me... of course, nine figures,” Mayweather recently said in an interview with BBC.

RELATED: Mayweather rules out rematch talks with Pacquiao

“I've had money thrown at me from so many different countries,” added the undefeated American, who retired after routing Andre Berto last September.

Prior to defeating Berto, Mayweather had been involved in boxing’s richest fight ever, outpointing Manny Pacquiao in May last year to become the unified welterweight champion. For that fight alone, he received at least $200 million in salary, including a handsome share of the pay-per-view income.

But the former pound-for-pound king insisted that he is retired from the sport that had been generous to him.

"As of right now, I am out completely," said Mayweather.

Nevertheless, the 38-year-old Mayweather is expecting another huge payday in a comeback fight.

"If I do get the itch to come back, it really won't be for the money but I have to get paid. That's why the nickname is Floyd 'Money' Mayweather," he added. – Dino Maragay

ACIRC ANDRE BERTO BERTO DINO MARAGAY FLOYD FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. IF I MANNY PACQUIAO MAYWEATHER PACQUIAO QUOT
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with