^

Mayweather rules out rematch talks with Pacquiao

Dino Maragay (Philstar.com) - February 2, 2016 - 12:35am

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. said he hasn’t kept in touch with Manny Pacquiao’s camp about the possibility of another fight.

Mayweather has retired after fighting Andre Berto last September, and Pacquiao is expected to follow suit after his third bout with Timothy Bradley this April.

But talks about another meeting between Mayweather and Pacquiao just won’t die down, given the huge financial incentives. Their fight in May last year made boxing history as the richest match ever, leading to speculations from observers that the two stars are bound to do it again.

Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum said he won’t market Pacquiao’s fight with Bradley as the Filipino icon’s last, hinting about the possibility of Mayweather-Pacquiao 2 later this year.

Mayweather, for his part, categorically denied that talks for a Pacquiao rematch have occurred.

“Everything that you guys are hearing that [Pacquiao adviser] Michael Koncz has said and what Bob Arum has said is totally false. I haven't spoken to Bob Arum, I haven't spoken to Michael Koncz,” the undefeated American recently told BBC.

Mayweather, who left boxing with an immaculate record of 49-0 (with 26 knockouts), maintained that he is retired.

“As of now, I am out completely. If I do get the itch to come back, it really won't be for the money but I have to get paid. That's why the nickname is Floyd 'Money' Mayweather,” he said.

ACIRC ANDRE BERTO BOB ARUM FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. IF I MANNY PACQUIAO MAYWEATHER MAYWEATHER AND PACQUIAO MICHAEL KONCZ PACQUIAO TIMOTHY BRADLEY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with