^

Nation

1 dead in Navotas ammonia leak

Marc Jayson Cayabyab - The Philippine Star
1 dead in Navotas ammonia leak
At least 60 people were rushed to the Navotas Hospital and Tondo Medical Center for treatment, according to the Bureau of Fire Protection.
BFP NCR PIO

MANILA, Philippines — An ice plant employee in Navotas died yesterday following an ammonia leak that hit a cold storage facility owned by Mayor Toby Tiangco’s mother.

At least 60 people were rushed to the Navotas Hospital and Tondo Medical Center for treatment, according to the Bureau of Fire Protection.

Tiangco said the ammonia leak occurred at T.P. Marcelo Ice Plant and Cold Storage in Barangay Northbay Boulevard South Proper.

Gilbert Tiangco, 43, was declared dead on arrival at the Navotas Hospital, city fire marshal Crossib Cante said.

The victim died of cardiopulmonary arrest following ingestion of ammonia, Tiangco said.

The mayor did not discount that they could be related.

Ammonia is used as a refrigerant, Tiangco said.

The leak came from a drum that ruptured and contained 500 gallons of ammonia, Cante said.

Tiangco said he would have the storage facility closed.

vuukle comment

TIANGCO

Philstar
x
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with