^

DOT endorses Baguio’s reopening to tourists

Catherine Talavera (The Philippine Star) - February 3, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The request of the Baguio City government to be allowed to accept tourists while it is under general community quarantine or GCQ has been endorsed by the Department of Tourism (DOT) to the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF).

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat told The STAR yesterday that the IATF has yet to act on their endorsement.

The IATF placed the entire Cordillera Administrative Region under GCQ this month due to a surge in the number of coronavirus cases, including the more infectious UK variant.

Mayor Benjamin Magalong said tourists are currently not allowed in Baguio City because it is under GCQ.

Magalong said local government units under GCQ could request for tourists to be allowed. He cited the case of Mabini town in Batangas, which was allowed to accept visitors for recreational diving activities in October last year.

Magalong reminded tourists who are planning to visit Baguio to wait for further announcements.

“In the meantime, we’re not allowing tourists to come up to Baguio City,” he said.

Baguio accepted tourists when it was placed under modified GCQ, starting with those from the Ilocos region. Tourists from Metro Manila, Cagayan Valley and Central Luzon were later allowed.

Baguio reportedly welcomed more than 19,000 tourists in December.

BAGUIO CITY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with