Alfredo Lim hospitalized for COVID-19
Rey Galupo (The Philippine Star) - August 8, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The family and friends of former Manila mayor Alfredo Lim are asking for prayers after he was reportedly taken to an undisclosed hospital due to COVID-19.

Lim’s grandson, Manila District 1 Councilor Niño dela Cruz, posted on Facebook an appeal for “prayers of healing and the speedy recovery” of his grandfather.

The post was deleted after several minutes. Dela Cruz did not answer calls and text messages, but his colleagues at the city council confirmed Lim’s illness.

Lim’s chief of staff, Ric de Guzman, denied rumors that the former mayor had died.

“The mayor is very much alive and (is) in fact making good progress,” he said.

De Guzman did not say where Lim was confined. Sources said he has been hospitalized since last week.

Lim, 90, became known as the country’s “Dirty Harry” due to his tough stance against crime when he was a police official and later as National Bureau of Investigation director.

He served two terms as Manila mayor before being designated as interior secretary and being elected as senator. – Jose Rodel Clapano

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with