2 San Juan streets declared ‘critical zones’
Neil Jayson Servallos (The Philippine Star) - July 9, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The city government of San Juan has declared two streets in different barangays as “critical zones” and placed them on lockdown for two weeks after fresh cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) were recorded in these areas.

Mayor Francis Zamora said portions of C. Santos street in Barangay Balong Bato and J. Eustaquio street in Barangay Progreso were declared critical zones, forcing at least 318 families to stay indoors from July 7 to July 22.

The city health office said seven residents of C. Santos street were found positive for the virus while J. Eustaquio street registered six COVID-19 patients.

“We want to make sure we contain the virus and prevent it from spreading to other areas,” Zamora said.

Under Memorandum Circular 2 of the National Task Force on COVID-19, a street is categorized as critical zone if at least two COVID-19 cases – composed of either suspected, probable or confirmed – are recorded in different households or buildings.

Zamora said the affected residents would be given food packs four times during the 15-day lockdown.

Police and barangay personnel will be enforcing enhanced community quarantine protocols in the communities, the mayor said.

Agora market closed

San Juan’s Agora public market will remain closed until July 15 after 23 vendors and market employees tested positive for the disease.

“I ordered the closure of the market pending the results of the swab tests conducted on vendors. Unfortunately, a number of them tested positive for the virus,” Zamora said.

He said they are still waiting for the results of the 33 tests out of the 647 swab tests conducted last week.

Those who tested positive are asymptomatic and are undergoing isolation and treatment. Their close contacts have also been tested and now on quarantine, according to Zamora.

A fish vendor was infected with COVID-19 last week, prompting the city government to shut down the market for disinfection.

Only vendors and employees who tested negative for the virus will be allowed to return to work on July 16 after securing clearance from the city health office, Zamora said.

SJMC wards shut down

The OB and pediatric wards of the San Juan Medical Center were shut down after a doctor and a nurse tested positive for COVID-19, according to SJMC director Joseph Acosta.

The doctor and the nurse were infected after being exposed to a patient, who underwent an emergency C-section and hysterectomy.

“Both the mother and baby are safe. The two medical personnel are asymptomatic. All close contacts of the patients and the medical staff were swabbed and quarantined,” Acosta said.

The wards are expected to open on Saturday.

As of July 3, San Juan recorded 420 confirmed cases, including 46 deaths and 290 recoveries.

SAN JUAN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with