Bayan to Palace: We're not on the same side
Dennis Carcamo (The Philippine Star) - August 27, 2013 - 12:53pm

MANILA, Philippines - The thousands of protesters at Luneta last Monday and Palace are not on the same side on the pork barrel fund abolition, militant group Bayan said on Tuesday.

"If this is true, why is it that the people still protested despite Aquino’s  announcement abolishing the PDAF last week? Why is it that the people have constantly mocked Aquino’s rebranded itemized pork? It’s because we were never on the same side to begin with and pork was never abolished," Bayan secretary general Renato Reyes Jr. said.
 
"Tens of thousands protested nationwide including overseas to demand the Aquino government to abolish all pork and to hold accountable those involved in the scam," he added.
 
Bayan said that the August 26 rally brought in people from communities, church groups, schools, cause-oriented groups, labor, and different professions. 
 
The group said that more protests should be readied as Malacanang continues to defy the people’s clamor for the abolition of pork.
 
It also pointed out that Aquino’s refusal to scrap congressional pork is borne out his desire to hold on to his own presidential pork, including some P450 billion in Special Purpose Funds.
 
Bayan said that the upcoming Senate hearings on the pork barrel scam should also be occasions to press for accountability on the issue.
 
Protests are also being readied for these hearings, the group said. 

AQUINO BAYAN LUNETA MALACANANG MONDAY AND PALACE PORK RENATO REYES JR. SPECIAL PURPOSE FUNDS
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with