^

Headlines

Duterte thanks Pinoys: Sorry I can’t do anything more

Helen Flores - The Philippine Star
Duterte thanks Pinoys: Sorry I canât do anything more
President Rodrigo Duterte presides over a meeting with key government officials prior to his "Talk to the People" at the Malacañan Palace on May 2, 2022.
Presidential Photo / King Rodriguez

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte again expressed his gratitude to the Filipino people for electing him president, even as he apologized for his “shortcomings.”

“In a few days I’ll be out. All that I did, for me, that’s it. The best that my efforts can really achieve. If that is still not enough, I’m sorry I can’t do anything more,” the President said in Filipino and English during the inauguration of the new building of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) in Pasig City yesterday.

“The things that I failed to do, mostly not because of negligence or I have shortcomings but the time really – six years – would not be enough to finish all the projects,” he added.

Duterte also took the opportunity to thank the media, particularly television networks, for their coverage of his presidency.

“To all of you, including TV networks, I would not mention, thank you. And your help in my journey in the six years, you gave me the honor to be the president of the Philippines. Thank you very much,” he said.

In a speech during the launching of the digital innovation efforts of the Philippine Postal Corp. last Thursday, Duterte said he has served the entire nation “irrespective of each tribal division.”

“I know that the Filipinos voted for me. Let’s not talk about those who did not vote for me. I served the country irrespective of each tribal division,” the President said.

Duterte will step down from office on June 30.

We still work

President Duterte continues to oversee the completion of his administration’s programs with little over a month left in office, an official of Malacañang has said.

“We still work. All programs are continuing,” Presidential Communications Operations Office Undersecretary Kris Ablan said over radio dzBB on Sunday.

Duterte was expected to hold his regular Talk to the People last night.

The President did not deliver a public address last week. – Alexis Romero

PRESIDENT DUTERTE

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with