China hospital demolished with patients inside
(Associated Press) - January 9, 2016 - 9:00am

BEIJING — Bulldozers unexpectedly demolished part of a hospital and its adjoining morgue in central China, sending doctors, nurses and patients fleeing and burying under rubble six bodies being processed at the morgue, reports said Friday.

The official Xinhua news agency reported that the hospital accused the local government of ordering the demolition work after failing to get the hospital to agree to a road expansion project.

The No. 4 Hospital of Zheng-zhou University in Henan province said the unexpected demolition work Thursday morning buried six bodies stored in the morgue, caused nearly 20 million yuan worth of damage to medical equipment and injured several hospital staff, according to Xinhua.

“Burying the remains of patients is enormously disrespectful to the dead,” the hospital’s deputy propaganda chief, Zhang Yuan, was quoted as saying. “I never imagined anything like this would ever happen.”

The Huiji District Government Information Office said in an online statement Thursday evening that they had asked the hospital in vain to demolish the CT room and morgue. It said workers had made sure there were no people inside the buildings before tearing them down, and there had been no casualties.

Calls to the mobile of an official at the construction bureau rang unanswered Friday, as did calls to numbers provided by the hospital’s information service.                                   

ACIRC BODIES BURYING HENAN HOSPITAL HOSPITAL OF ZHENG HUIJI DISTRICT GOVERNMENT INFORMATION OFFICE MORGUE NBSP XINHUA ZHANG YUAN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with