Two quarry operators face suspension
Lorraine L. Ecarma (The Freeman) - March 5, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  At least two quarry operators who were recently granted permits to operate are facing suspension after they were found violating the conditions of their permits during a surprise inspection conducted by the Cebu Provincial government.

 The quarry permittees were discovered to have surpassed the new 10,000 cubic meters cap set by the Capitol.

In an interview with Capitol reporters earlier this week, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said that the discovery was made after Capitol personnel conducted a surprise inspection in the quarry sites.

The quarry operators who have committed the violations may face suspension. But Garcia said she is planning to totally ban erring operators from being granted quarry permits.

“Ako nang ipakalit og inspection, I am seeing nga nag-extract ni sila beyond the allowed volume. So there’s a possibility nga naay uban nga dili nato only i-revoke, di na gyud nako issue-han,” Garcia said.

The governor has not yet disclosed when she intends to meet with the violators. To recall, in September of last year, additional requirements were imposed on quarry operators for them to resume any quarrying activity in the province. This includes the construction of a drainage area, and a siltation pond within the quarry sites.

Apart from this, penalties have also been imposed on operators after getting the variance of the amount per cubic meter paid in the Provincial Treasurer's Office and the actual volume being extracted.

Operators would also only be permitted to extract 10,000 cubic meters per application to the Treasurer’s Office.

“Kato tanan nga nakabayad, nakakumpleto sa requirements nga atong gipangayo, mao to ang gi-issuehan nato og balik,” Garcia explained.

Prior to the imposition of the new scheme, a total ban on quarrying was imposed by the Cebu Provincial government upon Garcia’s assumption in office in July of last year.

Garcia said her move was prompted by the continued degradation of the province’s natural resources brought about by deregulated quarry operations.  FPL (FREEMAN)

QUARRY
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with