^

Three barangay workers 'positive for drugs'

Garry B. Lao (The Freeman) - May 23, 2017 - 4:00pm

CEBU, Philippines - Three job order or contractual employees assigned in Barangay Paknaan, Mandaue City stand to lose their jobs after they tested positive for shabu use in a surprise drug test yesterday morning.

Of 226 employees, only 135 showed up and submitted themselves to the screening conducted by the City Health Department at the barangay gymnasium.

Paknaan Barangay Councilor Dulce Jumao-as said the workers were just told that they would be having a general meeting.

She said those who did not show up without any valid reason will be issued “show cause orders” and should undergo a drug test at their own expense.

“Voluntary sila mogasto sila. Gitawag baya sila nya wa sila motahod. Nagsalig sila general meeting lagi nya di manunga,” Jumao-as said.

She said the administration of Mayor Gabriel Luigi Quisumbing will continue with the surprise random drug tests.

Aside from the job order employees, the tanods, barangay hall personnel, and the elected barangay officials of Paknaan submitted to the drug test.

Barangay Captain Malaquias Soco, though, was among those who failed to undertake the test as he was in Manila attending the committee hearing for the lone district of Mandaue. Soco, however, already took a drug test last month.

Quisumbing had said earlier that employees found to be using illegal drugs will be discharged from service.

“We are getting there [in attaining a drug-free barangay]. As a matter of fact, I would like to bring special attention to Barangay Banilad.  Without any prompting (they) has volunteered that their barangay employees be tested,” the mayor said. (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with