Demolition victims in Mambaling won’t get relocation
Odessa O. Leyson (The Freeman) - June 28, 2016 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Cebu City government will not relocate the 25 families affected in the impending demolition in Barangay Mambaling.

Acting mayor Margarita Osmeña said the city can only assist in terms of transportation.

“We are not legally bound to give them any relocation site but two of them came (to me), imagine she said, can you give me a relocation site today? I said no,” Osmeña said.

At least 1,000 individuals stand to lose their houses in Sitio Tangke, Barangay Mambaling due to the demolition order issued by Municipal Trial Court in Cities Branch 6 Judge Pamela Baring-Uy.

The demolition was supposed to start yesterday but was postponed until Wednesday because of inclement weather.

Members of the Sitio Tangke Homeowners Association led by its president, Virginia Canoy, earlier asked Osmeña to intervene on their behalf.

The acting mayor sent a letter to Uy asking to delay the demolition. The court, however, denied the request.

Osmeña said she also learned that the affected residents had been asking for extension since 2002. The residents said they are already willing to vacate the area but they do not have a relocation site.

Osmeña said the city government cannot give a relocation site for them because the property they occupied was privately owned.

“But I assure them that if they need assistance, maybe we can help them for the transportation,” Osmeña said.  (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with