^

Radaza wants barge dry run ahead of schedule

Christell Fatima M. Tudtud (The Freeman) - February 24, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza wants the dry run of the barge operation to start earlier than the scheduled repair of the Mandaue-Mactan Bridge. 

Radaza said that holding the dry run ahead will give them enough time to make the necessary adjustments should there be glitches.

“Gusto nako nga maka-dry run ta kay for the reason nga we just don’t know kung unsa atong ma-encounter along the way sa pagsakay dinha (sa barge) nya dili na ingun ana ka-immediate nga inig repair sa bridge, naay daghan problema,” Radaza said.

The Maritime Industry Authority has scheduled the dry run for barge operation on March 5.

The mayor said she wants to ensure the safety of the people and the vehicles crossing the Mactan Channel. Radaza said she will meet with the Cebu Ports Authority officials to discuss her concern and to raise her suggestion.

“Ipahiluna gyud nato og maayo, mga tawo baya na ug sakyanan, dili ingon ana ka sayon ug kadali,” Radaza said.

The city will be using again the Kasamahan wharf situated in Purok Gemelina, Barangay Poblacion for Lapu-Lapu City side while the Ouano wharf in Barangay Looc for the Mandaue City side as soon as the Department of Public Works and Highways will start the bridge repair.

Radaza said the Kasamahan wharf will be limited to two barges only while the Anton’s wharf in Barangay Pusok is yet to be finalized.

“Ang Anton’s wharf wala pa na-finalize. Ang barging sa Kasamahan wharf limitado ra,” she said.

Radaza said the city engineers already inspected the area and found out that the road leading to the wharf needs minor repair as well as the structures in the area.

“Atong nakita, lubak-lubak man so atong ma-aspalto, makuha lang ang mga lubak-lubak and then there are structures nga ni-overhang, possible masangit ang mga sakyanan when they enter the place,” Radaza said.

She said they have already asked permission from the residents to clear the place and will set aside the basketball court to give way for the vehicles and passengers.

Radaza said the bridge already needs repair because it has been postponed since August last year. The repair, however, is expected to displace at least 81 families living under the bridge.

Pajo Barangay Captain Junard Chan said the families were already notified but the city is yet to provide a relocation site.

“Dugay na sila nakahibaw kay duna baya’y Senior Citizens Park nga himoon. Amo lagi problema, wala pay relocation site,” he said.

He said he can only offer the barangay gym as temporary shelter. — (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with