No bail for woman who kidnapped baby
Mylen P. Manto (The Freeman) - January 22, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office has recommended no bail against a call center agent who posed as a nurse and kidnapped a newborn baby at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center.

Prosecutor Raul Cristoria held 26-year-old Melissa Londres, a resident of Barangay Tipolo, Mandaue City, for trial after finding probable cause for kidnapping under Article 267 of the Revised Penal Code.

The complaint against Londres was sustained despite the affidavit of desistance filed by the baby’s parents Jonathan and Jayvee Celadenia.

“The allegations against her have not been controverted.  There is nothing in the mentioned Affidavit of Desistance that says the fact from which the alleged crime occurred did not exist,” the resolution read.

The resolution was approved by Deputy City Prosecutor Ma. Luisa Ratilla.

The Criminal Investiga-tion and Detection Group-7 filed a complaint before the Prosecutor’s Office against Londres and her former boyfriend, 27-year-old Philip Winfred Almeria, of Barangay Lahug, Cebu City, on January 7.

Jonathan said he was assisting his wife and their baby Prince Niño at the Child Survival Center on January 4 when a woman wearing a white uniform posing as a nurse approached and told them to bring their baby to the laboratory room for anti-dengue vaccination.

The woman was later identified as Londres.

Jonathan was outside the hospital when he received a call from his wife informing him that their baby was brought out of the hospital by the woman who approached them earlier.

Jonathan reported the incident before the Fuente Police Station and CIDG. The following day, Jonathan received a call from CIDG telling him that their baby was rescued and the suspects were arrested.

Almeria had denied the allegations, saying he did not know Londres stole the baby and that she made him believe that the infant was his son.

“I am completely innocent of the charge. I am also a victim here of Melissa’s plot. My family is deeply pained especially my father and mother, who were both expecting that they would be grandparents by now. I did not know that she stole the baby. All along I thought that she gave birth as what she had told me and out of excitement that I was already a father, I did not doubt her,” read the counter-affidavit of Almeria.

Londres did not submit a counter-affidavit, but the Celadenias submitted an affidavit of desistance on Tuesday expressing their “unconditional forgiveness” for the suspect.

The prosecutor found sufficient ground to hold Londres for trial but dismissed the complaint filed against Almeria citing lack of evidence.

Londres told the media she was already forgiven by the parents of the child and she is hoping that the court will dismiss her case.

“Napasaylo na ko sa parents sa bata, unta mapasaylo ko sa huwes ug ma-dismiss akong kaso. Mag-pray ko padayon ni Santo Niño,” she said.

Mary Jane, the mother of Londres, said she was baffled why the complaint against her daughter was elevated to court considering that an affidavit of desistance was executed.

Ratilla, however, said earlier that an affidavit of desistance may or may not be considered, depending on the gravity of the crime committed by an offender.

Meanwhile, Londres is now detained at the Cebu City Jail after Regional Trial Court Judge Ricky Jones Macabaya signed her commitment order yesterday. — (FREEMAN)

ACIRC AFFIDAVIT AFFIDAVIT OF DESISTANCE ALMERIA ATILDE BABY BARANGAY LAHUG BARANGAY TIPOLO CEBU CITY CEBU CITY JAIL LONDRES
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with