UP sues informal settlers
(The Freeman) - January 12, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The University of the Philippines Cebu has pressed charges against the informal settlers of Sitio Avocado in Barangay Lahug, Cebu City.

Lawyer Liza Corro, dean of UP-Cebu, asked the court to order the settlers to leave the property, which UP owns. She also asked the court to order the city government to stop reblocking and construction activities.

The lot along Gorordo Avenue became vacant when a fire razed the houses there shortly after Christmas day last month.

“Based on the foregoing facts, herein defendants’ entry and possession over the subject property is a clear act that deprives plaintiff of its right to use and possess the subject property as the registered owner thereof,” read the complaints Corro filed before the Municipal Trial Court.

Corro filed a complaint for forcible entry against 75 individuals and all persons claiming rights and interest to the property.

 In her complaint, Corro alleged that UP, being the registered owner of Lot 911-B-2-C-2-E covered by Transfer Certificate of Title (TCT) No. 31166, has the right to repossess the parcel of land occupied by the settlers.

 The settlers are building structures made of light materials on the property.

 “Plaintiff, in view of the foregoing, has no other recourse but to invoke the authority of this Honorable Court for injunctive relief, preventing and enjoining the defendants, their cohorts, agents and other persons acting for and in their behalf, from proceeding with any construction and further acts of dispossession against plaintiff, and to restore plaintiff in possession,” the complaint further reads.

Corro said the settlers can use the other half temporarily until such time that the relocation site in Barangay Busay is developed fully. The settlers were also informed of the plan.

Settlers stay

Earlier, Executive Judge Soliver Peras has earlier issued a 72-hour temporary restraining order (TRO) against the city to stop it from entering and or staying, reblocking or making improvements at the lot.

Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella, the acting mayor, said, however, that the settlers will remain at the area until the court orders them to go. — (FREEMAN)

BARANGAY BUSAY BARANGAY LAHUG CEBU CITY CORRO EXECUTIVE JUDGE SOLIVER PERAS GORORDO AVENUE HONORABLE COURT LAWYER LIZA CORRO MUNICIPAL TRIAL COURT SETTLERS SITIO AVOCADO
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with