J. Panis street in Kasambagan: Protest raised vs road closure

Jean Marvette A. Demecillo (The Freeman) - January 10, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Over 70 residents of St. Michael Village, Barangay Kasambagan, Cebu City have cried foul after “months” of closure of J. Panis Street, which prevented quick access to Governor  M.  Cuenco Avenue.

This was disclosed by Apas Barangay Captain Ramil Ayuman, who said residents approached him and asked for help. Kasambagan and Apas sit on the opposite sides of M. Cuenco Avenue.

“Kining mga residente niduol nako pagkadungog nila nga member ko sa Local Housing Board sa siyudad,” he said.

Ayuman alleged that private individuals (names withheld pending their comment) who claimed as lot owners closed the street using concrete barriers in September 2015.

He said the road was reopened on November 1, 2015 after residents complained but it was closed again after the observance of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.

Because of that, over 70 Kasambagan residents signed a petition to re-open the street.

“Naka-cause og traffic and luoy ang mga tao. Imbis molahos sa Gov. Cuenco, motuyok sa Cem (Cebu Memorial) Park which is layo kaayo,” Ayuman said.

In a December 16-letter addressed to City Hall Land Management Council Head Janeses Ponce, the residents said the street is their access to Cempark, St. Michael Village, Visayan Electric Company, Georich Townhomes, Arcenas Apartments, and other establishments and residences.

“Several months ago, a portion of this road was closed, notwithstanding its continued use and public character, on the basis that it has supposedly become part of a private property. Ironically, a private road had to be opened in lieu of the public road for the community to access,” Ayuman said.

He said the Department of Public Works and Highways-7 has already issued a memorandum on April 24, 2013 that per record, the closed road was the one called Old Cadre Road, which is a national road.

“It is on account of this development that we urge your office to look into this concern. The residents of this area are really at a loss how this happened and why the general welfare of the community has been ignored and left to the hands of private individuals,” the residents said.

Ayuman said the residents are still waiting for Ponce’s reply.

He said he inquired with the city’s Office of the Building Official last week if construction of the concrete barrier was legal.

“Sa akong inquiry, miingon si OBO assistant head Architect (Florante) Catalan nga wala naka secure og permit. Nang-apply but wala tiwasa. So, wala gyod ma-approve ang pag-close,” Ayuman said.

With this, he said, an OBO technical team will inspect the area within the week.

Ayuman said residents are hoping that the road, which they had been using for the “past 50 years”, will re-open soon since its closure has greatly impacted on their lives.

“Naka-meet na ang residents with Mayor (Michael) Rama before but wala lang daw mi-follow up sa mga residents so akong gi-raise sa Local Housing Board, and nag-issue mi og resolution nga among ipa-investigate since it affects the residents in the area,” Ayuman said. — /RHM (FREEMAN)

 

ACIRC ALL SAINTS APAS BARANGAY CAPTAIN RAMIL AYUMAN ARCENAS APARTMENTS AYUMAN BARANGAY KASAMBAGAN CUENCO AVENUE LOCAL HOUSING BOARD RESIDENTS ROAD ST. MICHAEL VILLAGE
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with