Strict security for 51st IEC
(The Freeman) - January 5, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines – Delegates for the 51st International Eucharistic Congress this coming January 24 will have to expect a tightened security upon entering the IEC pavilion inside the Seminario Mayor de San Carlos compound along Pope John Paul II Avenue in Barangay Mabolo, Cebu City.

Senior Superintendent Rey Lyndon Lawas, chief of the Police Regional Office-7 Regional Directorial Staff, said the delegates will go through screening sections similar to what they did during the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit held in Cebu last year.

“Like for pedestrians, they will pass through the pedestrian screening area and another for the vehicle screening area…. All of these will be undertaken to ensure safety of everybody inside the pavilion,” said Lawas.

He said that aside from external threats and sabotage of power, another that they are trying to avoid is a possible stampede since around 15,000 are expected to come.

He, however, said the pavilion is very big and has a wide ingress and egress areas to accommodate the delegates who are coming in and out of the facility.

Lawas said that initially, 165 policemen would be deployed to secure only the IEC pavilion, while augmentation personnel from the Armed Forces of the Philippines would also be there.

He said they have not yet identified the exact total number of policemen to secure the whole IEC but based on their initial assessment, policemen in Central Visayas alone can handle the safety and security of the event.

“But definitely, it will not be only members of the PNP (Philippine National Police) but it will also include the AFP, Philippine Coast Guard and other government agencies who will be involved sa security preparations,” he said.

PRO-7, though, is prepared to request other regions for augmentation personnel if it deems it necessary.

Meanwhile, the Cebu City Traffic Office, the Cebu Truckers Association Inc., Metro Cebu Arrastre and Stevedoring Services, Inc., and the Cebu Port Authority, among others, have all agreed following a meeting last week that  large trucks as well as heavy equipment will be restricted from traversing the five identified routes for Ceres buses carrying IEC delegates.

“We will adopt the no entry policy for trucks including heavy equipment on the five routes where Ceres buses will be picking up the delegates to the venue and vice versa,” said CCTO Operations Division Head Jonathan Tumulak.

The regulation, he said, will be effective throughout the duration of the event, or from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on January 24 to 31.

Large vans, heavy equipments, trucks and trailers are also required to pass through the Cebu Subway Tunnel on January 24, 29, and 31, avoiding the roads at the vicinity of  Plaza Independencia where religious activities will be held. – Ma. Fatima R. Secuya, May B. Miasco/RHM (FREEMAN)

ACIRC ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES ASIA PACIFIC ECONOMIC COOPERATION BARANGAY MABOLO CEBU CEBU CITY CEBU CITY TRAFFIC OFFICE CEBU PORT AUTHORITY CEBU SUBWAY TUNNEL CEBU TRUCKERS ASSOCIATION INC CENTRAL VISAYAS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with