Capitol’s anti-illegal fishing unit vows to continue fight
(The Freeman) - August 21, 2015 - 10:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Cebu Provincial Anti-Illegal Fishing Task Force (CPAIFTF) has vowed to intensify its crusade against illegal fishing and to protect coastal areas and seawaters in the province.

This after the group received recognition from the Philippine National Police for being an “Outstanding Government Organization of the Year 2014.”

PNP chief Ricardo Marquez conferred recently the plaque of merit to CPAIFTF at Camp Crame in Quezon City in line with the 114th police service anniversary celebration.

Lawyer Czareem Estella, the new task force coordinator, said the recognition was based from the accomplishments of the group in terms of anti-illegal fishing operations last year.

He considered the recognition as a challenge to the CPAIFTF and to him, being the new coordinator replacing retired Navy captain Romeo Tapayan, who resigned February this year.

Estella further gave credits to former security chief Loy Anthony Madrigal, a CPAIFTF team leader, for conducting numerous operations and apprehensions last year.

“Most of the (anti-illegal fishing) operations kay amo ni Loy,” he told reporters.

One major operation of the task force was in June last year spearheaded by Madrigal which yielded a truck carrying shark meat believed to be used as ingredient for fish products, like tempura.

Madrigal also resigned from his post in September last year following the issues hurled against him, one of which was on his alleged illicit affair with his secretary who also subsequently resigned.

Estella reported that no apprehension has been recorded after Madrigal’s resignation.

He, however, is optimistic that the re-organization of CPAIFTF would pave way to more intensified efforts against illegal fishing in the province.

Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III had issued an executive order on March 25, 2015 for the reorganization of the task force with more personnel from government agencies being mobilized.

Estella said the task force has already been conducting checkpoints and market denial activities. But he admitted they could not yet conduct seaborne patrol pending purchase of patrol boats.

“Naa’y seaborne patrol sa province but sa BFAR (Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources), Philippine Navy, and DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources),” he said.

He said they will purchase two patrol boats before the year ends.— Michael Vencynth H. Braga/NSA (FREEMAN)

 

ACIRC BUREAU OF FISHERIES AND AQUATIC RESOURCES CAMP CRAME CEBU GOVERNOR HILARIO DAVIDE CEBU PROVINCIAL ANTI-ILLEGAL FISHING TASK FORCE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES ESTELLA LAWYER CZAREEM ESTELLA LOY ANTHONY MADRIGAL MICHAEL VENCYNTH H OUTSTANDING GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION OF THE YEAR
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with