^

Cebu News

Last four houses in front of Doña Pepang removed

The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines - Cebu City Hall’s Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, and Enhancement personnel yesterday morning removed the remaining four structures out of nine identified as illegally-constructed in front of the Doña Pepang Cemetery in Barangay Tejero.

The PROBE demolition team implemented the clearing operation of the houses that were encroaching the lanes of M.J. Cuenco Avenue and the entry point of the cemetery.

“Voluntarily niguba ug nagpaguba sila sa ilang mga balay human nila dawata ang relocation site pero naa lang niabot nga grupo sa Sanlakas (Sugbo) ug gikwestyon nila kun naa bay clearing order gikan sa korte,” said Irenea Geneston, PROBE west team assistant supervisor.

“Grupo sa Sanlakas (Sugbo) ang nagdala og saba didto. Sa wala pa sila pagsugod sa among clearing, wala ra man nagsamok namo,” she further said.

The affected structure owners previously negotiated with PROBE officials for the former to be given a week-long period to voluntarily remove their own houses. The seven-day extension expired last Wednesday, August 5.

That day, Sanlakas Sugbo members and some of the affected residents staged a protest rally at the Cebu City Hall condemning the city government’s act of demolishing the houses without a proper relocation site.

“Gihadlok mi sa PROBE nga kun moduol mi sa korte, wala mi balikan nga balay,” said one of the residents who requested not to named, adding that there is still a pending executive session where their plight would be discussed.

Geneston, though, denied the allegation.

“Gikuyogan pa gani sila sa ilang kaugalingon nga relocation site tungod kay gipasaligan sila sa (Division for the Welfare of the) Urban Poor nga naa silay tarong nga relocation site,” she said.

In a separate interview, DWUP Chief Collin Rosell said the nine affected structure owners were provided with a relocation site in Barangay Lorega San Miguel.

A resident from Barangay Tejero, who was also present during the clearing, said they were more than willing to move out from the area but their relocation site is still not ready since Lorega fire victims are still occupying the lot. — May B. Miasco/RHM (FREEMAN)

ACIRC

BARANGAY LOREGA SAN MIGUEL

BARANGAY TEJERO

CEBU CITY HALL

CHIEF COLLIN ROSELL

CUENCO AVENUE

IRENEA GENESTON

MAY B

PEPANG CEMETERY

SANLAKAS

SANLAKAS SUGBO

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with