^

Cebu News

PDEA exec suspended for duel ‘challenge’

Bryner L. Diaz - The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines - The deputy regional director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency-7 has been suspended for challenging a reporter to a duel November last year.

“Wherefore, premises considered, Dir II Espiredeon Javier is hereby found guilty of simple misconduct and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service. Accordingly, he is hereby meted the minimum penalty of suspension without pay for six months and one day because of the presence of mitigating circumstances,” reads the order issued by PDEA Director General Undersecretary Arturo Cacdac.

The order was issued on August 15, 2014.

Reporter Guam Logroño told The Freeman that the decision should serve as a warning to all government officials. He believes that the decision can promote better relations between journalists and news sources.

Logroño said he hopes that Javier will accept and abide by the findings of the Internal Affairs Services of PDEA.

Logroño said the incident stemmed from a phone conversation he had with Javier during which he asked for the official’s reaction to allegations that PDEA agents searched the house of one Ernesto Ancao without a warrant.

Logroño had written a piece in Sunstar SuperBalita entitled “5 ka PDEA agents mironda nga way search warrant.”

He said Javier might have been upset with the story and told him during the interview, “Ano bang gusto mo, barilan na lang tayo.”

After Logroño shared the incident with fellow members of the Defense PNP Press Corps, the organization of reporters in Cebu covering the defense beat, the group proceeded to Javier’s office.

There, with a gun in his waist, Javier reportedly asked them in a loud voice, “Where is Guam Logroño?”

Logroño said Javier’s actions that day made him fear for his life.

For his part, Javier denied the accusations and said Logroño only misconstrued his words. He said he did not mean to challenge the reporter to a duel when he said, “anong gusto mo, mag-draw tayo?” and that he only wanted to impress upon him that he is not the kind of person who fabricates information and draws conclusion without basis.

“I also impressed him that I am ready to defend my men or anybody who is receiving end of harassment that I am willing to shoot it out with the oppressors: magkaibigan tayo o hindi, ayokong may maapi. Makipagbarilan tayo dyan,” Javier’s affidavit reads.      

After investigation, however, PDEA found substantial evidence to hold Javier liable of simple misconduct and Conduct Prejudicial to the Best Interest of the Service.

Javier was not available for comment yesterday.  (FREEMAN)

 

AFTER LOGRO

BEST INTEREST OF THE SERVICE

CONDUCT PREJUDICIAL

DIRECTOR GENERAL UNDERSECRETARY ARTURO CACDAC

DRUG ENFORCEMENT AGENCY

ERNESTO ANCAO

JAVIER

LOGRO

PLUSMN

  • Latest
Latest
Latest
abtest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with