CV tourist arrivals up 16% in 2014
Carlo S. Lorenciana (The Freeman) - March 13, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Tourist arrivals in Central Visayas in 2014 went up by 16 percent despite the lingering effects of major calamities that hit the region in late 2013, a report from the Department of Tourism-7 bared.Latest data from DOT released on Wednesday showed that Central Visayas logged 4.03 million arrivals last year from 3.5 million in 2013. DOT-7 hit its 3.6 million target last year as it is also bent on reaching 4.4 million tourists this year.

 Majority of those who visited the region last year were domestic travelers who reached 2.4 million, comprising 59.85 percentof the total arrivals. Overseas tourists who reached 1.6 million accounted 39.86 percent. While visiting overseas Filipino workers almost reached 12 thousand, accounting less than 1 percent.

 In 2014, domestic travelers rose 13 percent to 2.4 million from 2.1 million in 2013 while foreign tourists grew 20 percent to 1.6 million from 1.3 million in 2013..

 Of the region’s four provinces, Cebu posted the highest number of arrivals, registering 3.02 million tourists. Negros Oriental logged 519,429 tourists followed by Bohol having 455,155 travelers and then Siquijor recording 40,485 arrivals.

 Last year, Koreans comprised almost half of the local tourism sector’s foreign market followed by Japan, USA, China and Australia. A significant rise in the number of tourists from United Kingdom and France was also noted last year. Other visitors also came from Germany, Canada and Singapore.

 Renelyn Villegas, tourism operations officer at DOT-7, said Russians are considered an emerging market for CV.

 European and Middle Eastern tourists are deemed the long-stay and big spender travelers, respectively. Russians, Japanese and Americans also spend much. 

 Meanwhile, DOT-7 expects a surge in tourists ahead of the Holy Week vacation early next month and the summer season.

 Although it doesn't have projected arrivals for the summer season, Villegas said the agency usually expects a growth in tourism during the period.

 The tourism agency said Cebu City will see a rise in the number of meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions (MICE) while other provinces will cater to tourism and leisure activities during the summer months.  (FREEMAN)

 

 

CANADA AND SINGAPORE CEBU CITY CENTRAL VISAYAS CHINA AND AUSTRALIA DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM EUROPEAN AND MIDDLE EASTERN HOLY WEEK JAPANESE AND AMERICANS MILLION TOURISTS
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with