Retired boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. yesterday doused cold water on reports that he was on his way to the Middle East to pursue talks regarding a second fight with Pacquiao.
File
Mayweather-Pacquiao: No Saudi, No Rematch
Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) - August 20, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — No trip to Saudi Arabia means no rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

Retired boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. yesterday doused cold water on reports that he was on his way to the Middle East to pursue talks regarding a second fight with Pacquiao.

A video showing Mayweather announcing his trip to the rich desert country roamed the internet yesterday. In no time, news outlets pounced on it.

“It’s an honor to come to Saudi Arabia to sit down with you guys to talk about the Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch,” Mayweather said in the video that carried no clear source of origin.

It turned out to be an old clip.

”The video that y’all been seeing is false because I’ve been to Saudi Arabia. I went there a long time ago,” Mayweather told Ben Thompson of Fight Hype.

Mayweather, who fought and defeated Pacquiao in a record-smashing showdown in 2015, remembered the video being shot in January this year before a short visit to Saudi Arabia.

It apparently was taken before Pacquiao, now the WBA welterweight champion, outclassed Adrien Broner last January. Then last month, the senator floored and outpointed erstwhile unbeaten Keith Thurman.

In both fights, Mayweather sat at ringside.

“I talked to them about me fighting there, just different fights, but they wanted me to specifically say Manny Pacquiao,” said Mayweather of the Saudi Arabia trip.

The 50-0 American had been jumping in and out of his private jet, seeing the world, enjoying retirement and making millions through other ventures.

“And actually, we didn’t just talk about boxing; we talked about different events; us bringing different events out there,” he said.

“Basically, that’s an old video. At the end of the day, there’s no talks about me and Manny Pacquiao fighting a rematch. Even if we did fight, all they’re going to do is have an excuse, just like the first time,” Mayweather added.

Sean Gibbons, president of MP Promotions, said Pacquiao was “not aware of anything.”

“I’m not sure what Floyd is up to. But it sounds good that Floyd has spoken,” the international matchmaker told The STAR yesterday.

For now, there’s no rematch in the offing.

“There is no fight, there is no possibility at this moment. Floyd has said numerous time that, ‘I’m retired, I’m enjoying my retirement,’” said Gibbons.

“It’s a soap opera,” he said.

FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. MANNY PACQUIAO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with