Diarrhea kills 65 children in Zambo evacuation center
Roel Pareño (The Philippine Star) - January 20, 2014 - 2:36pm

ZAMBOANGA CITY - A total of 65 children, including babies, have died in an evacuation center in the city, the local health office said Monday.

City health officer Dr. Rodelyn Agbulos said that majority of the fatalities were minors, including babies. The deaths were caused by malnourishment and complications from diarrhea.

Agbulos said 32 of the victims were children aged 5 years and below and 33 were children 5 years old and above.

The fatalities were staying at the Joaquin F. Enriquez Sports Complex, which was converted into a huge evacuation center to accommodate the thousands of city residents displaced by the standoff between government troops and Moro National Liberation Front rebels in November last year.

“Those affected were severely malnourished children and with complications of diarrhea,” Agbulos said.

The health officer also reported that of the 43 cases of dengue recorded this month, 23 were recorded from the evacuation center.

The city officer also reported that there were 43 dengue cases reported and 23 of the cases were recorded inside the evacuation centers just this January alone.

Agbulos said that they have been urging the evacuees to keep the evacuation center clean.

The doctor said the city health office will lead a whole day clean up day next week at the evacuation center.

AGBULOS CASES CENTER CHILDREN CITY DR. RODELYN AGBULOS ENRIQUEZ SPORTS COMPLEX EVACUATION HEALTH JOAQUIN F MORO NATIONAL LIBERATION FRONT
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with